This tutorial explains how to generate a CSR code in DirectAdmin, and how to install an SSL Certificate on DirectAdmin servers. After you complete the SSL configuration, stay tuned for a brief history of DirectAdmin control panel, as well as practical tips on where to buy the best SSL certificate for DirectAdmin.
Generate CSR in DirectAdmin
The Certificate Signing Request (CSR) is a block of plain text that contains details about your domain ownership and organization. It is necessary during your SSL order. To generate the CSR in DirectAdmin, follow the steps below:
- Log into your DirectAdmin account. If you have administrator rights, navigate to the upper right corner and change the access level from Admin to User level
- Locate the Advanced Features section and click on SSL Certificates
- Select Create a Certificate Request, and fill in the fields as shown below:
- 2 Letter Country Code – enter the two-letter abbreviation for the country where your organization is legally located. For example, US or CA
- State/Province – specify the full name of the state where your business is registered. For example, Arizona
- City – type the full name of the city where your organization is located. For example, Phoenix
- Company – enter your company’s legal name. For example, GPI Holding LLC. For a Domain Validation certificate, enter your full name
- Company Division –specify the department managing the SSL certificate. For example, IT
- Common Name – provide the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) you want to secure. For example, ssldragon.com. If you have a wildcard certificate, add an asterisk in front of the common name (e.g. *.ssldragon.com)
- E–Mail – submit a valid email address
- Key Size (bits) –the standard key size is 2048 bits. Higher values are resource-intensive and may affect your server’s performance
- Certificate type –you will see this field only if you run an older version of DirectAdmin. The hashing algorithm you select will not affect your SSL certificate, because all out SSL products include the SHA-2 hashing algorithm by default
- Double-check the fields you’ve just completed, then click Save
- DirectAdmin will now generate the CSR code and your private key. Save the CSR code including the —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– and —–END CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– header and footer using a text editor such as Notepad. You will send it to the Certificate Authority, and they will sign your certificate. As for the private key, you’ll need it during the SSL installation. Copy it into a separate file and keep it on your server. Once you close this page, the private key will not be available anymore.
Note: If you don’t see the private key, don’t worry. DirectAdmin has automatically copied it to the SSL installation page.
Install an SSL Certificate on DirectAdmin
After the Certificate Authority sings and sends the SSL certificate files to your inbox, you can continue with the SSL installation. Follow the steps below to configure your certificate:
- Prepare your certificate, private key and ca-bundle files in advance. You will soon use them. Remember, you generated the private key along with the CSR code. As for certificate and ca-bundle files, the CA sent them to you in an archived folder
- Log into your DirectAdmin account. If you are logged in as Admin, switch to the User level. You can do it in the upper right menu
- Go to Advanced Features section and click SSL Certificates
- Select the Paste pre-generated certificate and key option
- Next, you need to paste your Private Key including the —–BEGIN PRIVATE KEY—– and —–END PRIVATE KEY—– tags. If your private key is already filled in, proceed to the next step
- Paste your certificate together with —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE—– and —–END CERTIFICATE—– header and footer
- Double-check the codes you’ve just pasted and then click Save
- Now, you need to install the certificate chain you received from your Certificate Authority. Return to the SSL Certificates menu and click on Click Here to paste the CA Root Certificate
- Copy and paste all the certificates from your CA-bundle file. Tick the Use a CA Cert checkbox, and then hit the Save button
- Make sure that the SSL is enabled for this domain. A message at the top of the SSL Certificates panel will display the SSL status. If SSL is disabled, click on the You can enable it here link. Next, tick the Secure SSL checkbox, and press the Save button.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed your SSL Certificate using DirectAdmin control panel. To test your SSL installation for potential errors, use these excellent SSL tools.
DirectAdmin history and versions
DirectAdmin is a popular web hosting panel and an alternative to the likes of cPanel and Plesk. Founded by JBMC Software, a Canadian company, in 2003, DirectAdmin runs on Linux and FreeBSD operating systems such as CloudLinux, Red Hat, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, Ubuntu and Debian. Below you’ll find the latest major releases of DirectAdmin:
- DirectAdmin 1.53 released on March 14, 2018
- DirectAdmin 1.52 released on October 3, 2017
- DirectAdmin 1.51 released on February 9, 2017
- DirectAdmin 1.5 released on February 21, 2016
Where to buy an SSL Certificate for DirectAdmin?
The best place to get an SSL Certificate for DirectAdmin is from SSL Dragon. We offer unbeatable prices, regular discounts and great deals on the entire range of our SSL products. We’ve carefully selected the best SSL brands on the market to provide your website with bulletproof encryption. All our SSL certificates are compatible with DirectAdmin. Here are the types of SSL certificates available at SSL Dragon:
- Domain Validation
- Business Validation
- Extended Validation
- Code Signing
- IP Address
To help you choose the perfect SSL certificate, we created a couple of unique SSL tools. Our SSL Wizard takes care of your searching and recommends the best SSL deal for your online project. But there is more, the Advance Certificate Filter sorts and compares different SSL certificates by price, validation, and features to narrow down the best SSL products for you.
If you find any inaccuracies, or you have details to add to these SSL installation instructions, please feel free to send us your feedback at [email protected]. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.