A code signing SSL certificate can be issued to an organization or an individual. The Sectigo validation requirements vary depending on who requests the code signing certificate.
Organization Validation Requirements according to Sectigo:
Organization validation verifies the following:
- Operational existence
- Physical existence
- Government-issued photo ID of the requestor
- Business phone number
- Order Authenticity
The Certificate Authority (CA) will verify your organization’s legal status and or DBA (doing business as) via your legal registration and other third-party trusted sources such as GLEIF, Duns & Bradstreet, Hoovers, Companies House GOV.UK.
The CA will verify your business address using the same procedure and trusted sources as during the operational existence verification.
Government-Issued Photo ID:
A copy of a government-issued photo ID is required to verify the requestor (admin contact) on the order. For the verification, you need to provide two documents:
- A copy of a government-issued photo ID such as a valid driver’s license, passport, national ID, or military ID that includes the name which matches the name on the order.
- A photo of the requestor holding the government-issued photo ID. The photo must clearly show the face and the government photo ID that is readable and can be compared to the copy provided in the document.
The CA will verify your phone number via trusted third-party databases.
To validate your information, a validation agent will attempt a callback. A person of authority to request the certificate must confirm the order. If the validation agent can’t complete any of these requirements, an email will be sent explaining the issue and offering additional details for a resolution.
Individual Validation Requirements:
Individual Validation differs from organizational validation because you’re not proving business credentials but personal identity. Two options are available for individual validation:
Option 1 documents:
- Prove identity via a government-issued photo ID that includes an address that matches the name and address on the order.
- A photo of you holding the government-issued photo ID. The photo must clearly show your face and the government photo ID that is readable and can be compared to the copy provided in the document.
Option 2 documents:
- A Face to Face document explaining the specific instructions and requiring a notary to attest to and notarize the forms.
- A notarized copy of a valid driver’s license, passport, national ID, or military ID that includes your name and matches the name on the order.
- The Face to Face personal declaration statement
- The Face to Face confirming person statement
Note: The face-to-face verification form should be filled and signed by a Notary authorized to conduct business in your area/country.
How to submit documents
You can submit the documents to Sectigo by using one of the following methods: