In this tutorial, we will show you how to generate a CSR on pfSense.
Just follow the steps below:
Step 1: Create the CSR certificate
- Navigate to System > Cert Manager > Certificates tab and click + to expand the certificates options.
- Select the Create a certificate signing request method.
- Choose a friendly name for your certificate.
- Select the key size (2048 bits is the standard size)
- To the Digest Algorithm, choose SHA 256
- The certificate type must be Server Certificate
Step 2: Complete your information
Next, you need to fill in the fields with your contact information:
- C: Country: enter the two-letter code of the country where your company is registered. For example, US
- ST: State: enter the name of the state where your company is based. For example, New Mexico
- L: Location/City: enter the city where your company is located. For instance, Albuquerque
- O: Organization: indicate the official name of your company. For instance, YourCompany LLC
- OU: Organizational Unit: name the department in charge of the SSL certificate. For instance, IT
- Email Address: provide your email address
- CN: Common Name: enter the FQDN (fully-qualified domain name) of the website you want to secure. For example, yourdomain.com. If you want to order a Wildcard certificate, add an asterisk in front of your domain name. For example, *.yourdomain.com
Next, you can copy the newly generated CSR code including the —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– and —–END CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– tags into a text editor of your choice. You’ll need it during the SSL application.