In this step-by-step tutorial, we will show you how to generate a CSR on Google App Engine.
The quickest way to create a CSR code is via an external tool. You can use our own CSR generator to create your CSR and private key.
Alternatively, you can use your Google Platform account and generate the CSR through the Google Cloud Shell. The Shell command-line console is only available if you’ve already created a project in your account. Assuming that you have a new or existing project here’s how you generate the CSR:
Step 1. Activate Google Cloud Shell
- Open the console by clicking the right side Activate Google Cloud Shell button from the top menu bar
- The console window will appear at the bottom of your page with the current user’s home directory (/home/user). You can generate the CSR request in the default directory or any other location of your choice.
Step 2. Run the command below to generate your CSR
openssl req -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout yourdomain.key -out yourdomain.csr
Note: You should replace the “your domain” value with your real domain name.
Step 3. Enter your contact information
Please enter the data as shown in the examples below:
- Country Name: enter the two-letter abbreviation code of the country where your business is legally registered (e.g., US).
- State or Province: provide the name of the state or region where your company is located (e.g., Texas)
- City or Locality: enter the City where your company is registered (e.g., Austin)
- Organization Name: enter the full name of your organization. If you have a Domain Validation SSL certificate, you can put NA instead
- Organizational Unit Name: type NA for Domain Validation certs; otherwise, indicate the department in charge of web security (e.g., IT)
- Common Name: enter the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) you want to secure. For example, yourdomain.com. If you have a Wildcard SSL Certificate, add an asterisk in front of your domain name (e.g., *.yourdomain.com)
- Email address: provide a valid email address
- A challenge password and an optional company name: skip these fields. Press enter to leave them blank
Double-check the info you’ve just submitted and press Enter. The command will generate your CSR code (csr file), along with your private key (yourdomain.key file)
You can now copy-paste the content of your CSR file including the —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST—- and —–END CERTIFICATE REQUEST—-tags during your SSL Certificate order
As for the private key file, you will need it during the SSL installation. Please, save it in a safe directory.
Save 10% on SSL Certificates when ordering today!
Fast issuance, strong encryption, 99.99% browser trust, dedicated support, and 25-day money-back guarantee. Coupon code: SAVE10