In this step-by-step tutorial, we will show you how to generate a CSR on IMAP Server.
Just follow the steps below:
Step 1. Initiate the CSR generation
Connect to your server, and at the prompt run the following command:
openssl req -new -nodes -keyout your_domain_name.key -out your_domain_name.csr
This command will create your CSR request, and the Private Key, which you’ll need later, during the installation process.
Step 2. Fill in your information
Provide your contact details as shown below:
- Common Name: enter the FQDN (fully-qualified domain name) of the website you want to secure (e.g., yourdomain.com)
- Organization: type the legal name of your organization. For instance, GPI Holding LLC
- Organizational Unit: indicate the department requesting the SSL certificate. Usually, it’s IT or Web Administration
- City/Locality: enter the city where your organization is registered
- State/Province: specify the state or province where your organization is located
- Country: enter the two-letter code of your country.
Step 3. Get the CSR
The OpenSSL utility will generate and save the CSR and private key files to the current directory.
To open the CSR file, you can use any text editor such as Notepad. You’ll need to copy the entire text including the BEGIN and END tags when ordering your SSL Certificate.