In this tutorial, we will show you how to generate a CSR on JBoss Servers.
Follow the steps below:
Part 1: Create the Keystore and Private Key
Your first step is to create a keystore for your JBoss Server. A keystore is a repository where you will store your private key.
- Run the following command to generate a keystore and private key:
keytool -genkey -alias create_Privatkey_Alias -keyalg RSA -keystore path_and_create_KeystoreFilename.jks –keysize 2048Note: You need to specify a Privatekey alias. You will use it for CSR creation and certificate installation. Make sure you remember it.
- Next, pick a password for your keystore, and re-enter it. Write it down, or save it on your PC. You will use it during the certificate configuration
- Enter your contact details as shown below:
- What is your first and last name? Common Name (CN): type the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) of the website you want to secure. For instance, com or www.yoursite.com
Note: If you have a Wildcard Certificate, add an asterisk in front of your domain. Your common name should look like this: *.yoursite.com.
- What is the name of your organizational unit? (OU): indicate the department in charge of SSL management. For example, IT or Web Administration. If you have a Domain Validation certificate, type NA instead
- What is the name of your organization? (O): enter the official name of your company. For example, Your Company LLC. For a DV certificate, enter NA instead
- What is the name of your city or locality? (L): specify the city where your company is located. For example, California
- What is the name of your state or province? (ST): enter the full name of your state where your company is located
- What is the two-letter country code for this unit? (C): provide the two-letter code of your country. For instance, US.
- Double-check your information and type Y then press Enter to confirm your submission
- Enter the key password for your Alias. The command will then ask you for the private key password.
- Press Enter.
Your keystore and private key passwords are identical. Make sure you don’t lose them.
Part 2: Generate the CSR from the keystore
- Run the command below:
keytool -certreq -keyalg RSA -alias your_privatekey_alias -file your_csr_file.csr -keystore your_keystore_filename.jks
- Back up your keystore file. You will need it during the installation process
- Open your CSR file (.csr) with any text editor such as Notepad, and copy-paste all its contents into your SSL certificate order page.
Depending on the type of your cert, you may have to wait for a few minutes (DV certs) or a couple of business days (EV and BV certs) for it to arrive in your email inbox.
After your CA validates the CSR and issues the SSL certificate, you can proceed to the JBoss SSL installation instructions.