How to Generate a CSR on PRTG Network Monitor?
In this tutorial, we will show you how to generate a CSR on PRTG Network Monitor.
Just follow the steps below:
Download and install the Win32 Open SSL Light utility
Note: If upon installation you see the following error: “The Win32 OpenSSL Installation Project setup has detected that the following critical component is missing: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables. Win32 OpenSSL will not function properly without this component. It is recommended that you install the missing component before clicking OK to continue.”, download the Microsoft Visual C ++ 2008 Redistributable Package.
Go to Start->Run->”cmd“, and navigate to the c:\openssl\bin folder where the openssl.exe is located (“cd c:\openssl\bin”)
Run the following command:
openssl req -nodes -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout prtg.key -out prtg.csr -config openssl.cfg
Next, you have to enter your contact details into the OpenSSL wizard.
Please, follow the examples below to fill in the required information:
- Country Name (2 letter code): specify the two-letter code of your country. For instance, US.
- State or Province Name: enter the full name of the state where your company is located. For example, Florida
- Locality Name: write the full name of the city where your company is registered. For instance, Orlando
- Organization Name: type the full legal name of your company. For example, Your Company LLC
- Organizational Unit Name: indicate the department managing the SSL Certificate request. For instance, IT or Web Administration
- Common Name: specify the FQDN (fully-qualified domain name) you want to secure. For example, yoursite.com
- Email address: provide a valid email address
- You can skip the extra attributes
The OpenSSL utility will create two files in the c:\openssl folder:
- csr: this is your CSR Code which you must send to your CA
- key: this is your private key. Keep it safe and don’t share it with anyone. You will need the private key during the SSL installation.
You can open your CSR file with any text editor such as Notepad. When requesting your SSL Certificate, copy-paste the CSR contents including the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE tags into the corresponding box, on your SSL vendor’s page.