In this step by step tutorial, we’ll demonstrate to you how to generate a CSR code and install an SSL certificate for Localhost XAMPP. You will also learn a few interesting facts about XAMPP, and discover the best place to shop for affordable SSL Certificates.
If you’ve already generated the CSR code and received the SSL certificate in a ZIP folder, feel free to skip the CSR generation instructions and jump straight to the installation steps. Use the anchor links below to navigate between sections.
Generate a CSR code for Localhost XAMPP
The Certificate Signing Request, or simply CSR, is a small, encoded text file containing information about your domain and/or company. All commercial CAs require SSL applicants to submit a CSR code, as part of the SSL validation process.
Since XAMPP runs locally on your device, you have several options when it comes to creating your CSR code. Listed below are two CSR generation methods, please select one and follow the instructions inside the link.
Generate a CSR code via SSL Dragon’s CSR Generator Tool.
Generate a CSR Code via OpenSSL utility for Apache
After you generate the CSR code and the private key files, continue with the installation instructions.
Install an SSL Certificate for Localhost XAMPP
Once the CA validates your SSL Certificate and delivers the necessary files to your inbox, download the archived ZIP folder and extract its contents on your device.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Your primary SSL Certificate file
- The CA Bundle or SSL Chain file containing your root and intermediate certificates
Note: If your bundle is broken in several SSL files, you will need to merge the contents of each file into a Single plain text document file (.crt extension). Add your intermediate certificate or certificate first, followed by the root certificate.
- The private key file you generated along with the CSR code.
When your SSL files are ready, please perform the following:
- Create a folder on your XAMPP server to store the SSL files. For example, you can use this directory: xampp\apache\ssl
- Use one of the two ways below to find the configuration file for your website:
- In the XAMPP control panel click Config and select Apache (httpd-ssl.conf)
- Use the file explorer to locate the configuration file. It resides in the folder where you installed the XAMPP control panel. For example, ”d\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-ssl.conf”
- Open the configuration file with any text editor such as Notepad, and edit the virtual host for port 443. Follow the example below, then save the Changes.
Note: Make sure you replace the server name and alias, and the certificate paths with your actual names and locations.
- Restart the server. In the XAMPP control panel click Stop, then Start.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully installed an SSL Certificate for Localhost XAMPP.
Test your SSL Installation
After you install an SSL Certificate for Localhost XAMPP, it’s recommended to run a diagnostic test on your SSL configuration, to ensure that no SSL errors affect your site’s performance. With the help of these high-end SSL tools, you can get instant scans and reports on your SSL Certificate.
XAMPP history and versions
XAMPP is a free and open-source cross-platform web server solution stack that allows developers to create a local web server for testing purposes. It runs on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems. Initially released in 2002, by Apache Friends, XAMPP stands for Apache+MariaDB+PHP+Perl, with the first letter X referring to cross-platform.
Listed below are the latest releases of XAMPP:
- XAMPP 7.3.3
- XAMPP 7.3.2
- XAMPP 7.3.1
- XAMPP 7.3.0
- XAMPP 7.2.16
Where to buy the best SSL Certificate for XAMPP?
You don’t need to leave this website! Here, at SSL Dragon, we offer the widest range of SSL products at incredible prices. All our certificates are compatible with XAMPP and are suited for projects of any size and budget. Browse the list below to find the SSL type you need:
- Domain Validation
- Business Validation
- Extended Validation
- Code Signing
- IP Address
If you find any inaccuracies, or you have details to add to these SSL installation instructions, please feel free to send us your feedback at [email protected]. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.