How to Install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce
In this tutorial, you will learn how to install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce. You will also discover the best place where to buy an SSL Certificate for your BigCommerce platform.
If you’ve already created a CSR code and applied for your SSL Certificate, you can skip the first part of this guide, and head straight to the installation instructions.
Table of Contents
- Generate a CSR code on BigCommerce
- Install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce
- Test your SSL installation
- Where to buy the best SSL Certificate for BigCommerce?
Generate a CSR code on BigCommerce
When applying for an SSL Certificate, you must generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) code and send it to your CA (Certificate). The CSR code is a block of encoded text with your contact details. The CA uses it during the SSL validation process.
Along with the CSR, you will also create your private key, an essential element to establish a secure connection between your server and users’ browsers. Save and backup your private key. You will need it during the certificate installation.
You have two options:
- Use our CSR Generator to create the CSR automatically.
- Follow our step-by-step tutorial on how to generate CSR on BigCommerce.
That’s it. You can now use your newly created CSR code during the order process with your SSL vendor.
Install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce
Once the CA sends you all the necessary SSL Certificate files, you continue with the installation steps.
Here’s what you will need:
- Your server certificate: this is your primary SSL Certificate signed for your domain name. It resides in the ZIP folder sent to you by your CA. You need to download it and extract the files on your device
- Your intermediate certificates: look for the .ca-bundle file within the ZIP archive. It contains your intermediates
- Your private key: you’ve generated the private key along with the CSR. You should have it on your server or desktop. You should also have a copy in your email inbox.
Here’s how to install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce:
- Log into your BigCommerce control panel
- Go to Server Settings > SSL certificates, and under Install a 3rd party SSL certificate click Install a 3rd party SSL
- Now, all you have to do is copy and paste your primary and intermediate certificates in their respective fields, then Install them
The installation may take up to 15-20 minutes.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully installed an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce.
Test your SSL installation
After you install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce, it’s always wise to scan your new installation for potential errors or vulnerabilities. With these powerful SSL tools, you can get instant reports on all facets of your SSL Certificate and its configuration.
Where to buy the best SSL Certificate for BigCommerce?
The best place to buy an SSL Certificate for BigCommerce is from SSL Dragon. We offer affordable prices, regular discounts and exclusive deals on the full range of our SSL products. We’ve selected only the top SSL brands on the market to provide your website state of the art encryption. All our SSL certificates are compatible with BigCommerce.
To help you choose the perfect SSL certificate, we built a couple of handy SSL tools. Our SSL Wizard does the search for you and recommends the best SSL certificate for your online project. On the other hand, the Certificate Filter sorts and compares different SSL products by price, validation, and features.
If you find any inaccuracies, or you have details to add to these SSL installation instructions, please feel free to send us your feedback at [email protected]. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.