This step by step guide explains how to install an SSL certificate on Virtualmin hosting control panel. On top of that, you will also discover where to buy the best SSL certificate for Virtualmin.
If you’ve already generated the CSR code and received the necessary SSL files, skip part one and jump straight to installation instructions.
Table of Contents
- Generate a CSR code on Virtualmin
- Install an SSL Certificate on Virtualmin
- Test your SSL installation
- Where to buy the best SSL Certificate for Virtualmin?
Generate a CSR code on Virtualmin
To obtain an SSL certificate signed by a trusted Certificate Authority (CA), every applicant must create a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) and submit it to the CA for validation. The CSR code is a block on encoded text with contact data such as domain and company details. In Virtualmin, generating a CSR is easy
You have two options:
- Use our CSR Generator to create the CSR automatically.
- Follow our step-by-step tutorial on how to generate CSR on Virtualmin.
Use the CSR code when requesting the SSL Certificate at your SSL vendor’s page.
Install an SSL Certificate on Virtualmin
After your CA validates your SSL request and sends the installation files to your inbox, open the ZIP folder and extract its contents on your device.
A successful SSL installation on Virtualmin requires your Signed SSL Certificate. If you’ve also received an intermediate certificate or a CA Bundle for better browser compatibility, you can also add them to your server. Please, follow the steps below:
- Log into your Virtualmin dashboard
- From the drop-down list on the top left, select the domain you want to secure with an SSL Certificate
- Navigate to Server Configuration > Manage SSL Certificate, then click New Certificate
- Into the Signed SSL Certificate field, paste the contents of your SSL certificate file
- If you’ve generated the CSR on Virtualmin, keep the Matching private key
- Click Install
- Optional: select the CA Certificate tab, and add your CA Bundle or Intermediate Certificate if your CA provided them to you.
Congrats, you can connect to your site now via the HTTPS protocol. You should see the SSL padlock next to your URL.
Test your SSL installation
After you install an SSL Certificate on Virtualmin, you should run a quick test and check your new SSL certificate for potential errors and vulnerabilities. We have an entire article on our blog, describing the best SSL tools to scan your SSL installation.
Where to buy the best SSL Certificate for Virtualmin
When buying an SSL Certificate, you should pay close attention to the validation type, price, and customer service. At SSL Dragon, we offer the widest range of SSL certificates, the best prices, and, of course, impeccable customer support! Our SSL certificates are issued by reputable Certificate Authorities and are compatible with Virtualmin. Whether you need an affordable Domain Validation certificate or a premium Extended Validation product we’ve got you covered.
If you don’t know what type of SSL certificate to choose, use our SSL Wizard and Certificate Filter tools. They will recommend the ideal SSL product for your website.
If you find any inaccuracies, or you have details to add to these SSL installation instructions, please feel free to send us your feedback at [email protected]. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.