In this step-by-step tutorial, we will show you how to generate a CSR for Spiceworks. You can create your CSR using the OpenSSL utility.
Just follow the steps below:
Step 1. Install OpenSSL
Download OpenSSL for Windows. After installation, you may need to set an environment variable within Windows. Run the following command:
Note: Enter custom installation directory, if you didn’t install OpenSSL in C:\OpenSSL-Win32\
Step 2. Generate the private key
Run the following command as an administrator:
openssl req -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout private.key -out request.csr
Your private key should appear in the C:\OpenSSL directory or in the C:\OpenSSL-Win32 directory.
Step 3. Fill in the CSR information
Next, you need to provide some information about you and your site/company. Here’s what to enter at the prompt:
- Country Name (2 letter code): type the two-letter code of your country. For example, US
- State or Province Name: write the full name of the state where your business is registered. For instance, California
- Locality Name: enter the full name of the city where your company is located. For example, San Francisco
- Organization name: specify the full legal name of your company. For instance, Your Company LLC
- Organizational Unit Name: this is the department within your company, requesting the SSL Certificate. For example, IT or Web Administration
- Common Name: The common name must be the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the Spiceworks host. For example dashboard.yourdomain.com
- Email Address: provide a valid email address
- Extra Attributes: leave them blank
That’s it! You’ve successfully generated your CSR code.
You can open it with any text editor such as Notepad. During the SSL order process, you’ll need to send the CSR to your CA (Certificate Authority) to apply for the digital certificate.
Save 10% on SSL Certificates when ordering today!
Fast issuance, strong encryption, 99.99% browser trust, dedicated support, and 25-day money-back guarantee. Coupon code: SAVE10