In this tutorial, you will learn how to generate a CSR code and install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce. You will also discover a few interesting facts about BigCommerce, as well as the best place where to buy an SSL Certificate for your BigCommerce platform.
If you’ve already created a CSR code and applied for your SSL Certificate, you can skip the first part of this guide, and head straight to the installation instructions.
Generate a CSR code on BigCommerce
When applying for an SSL Certificate, you must generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) code and send it to your CA (Certificate). The CSR code is a block of encoded text with your contact details. The CA uses it during the SSL validation process.
Along with the CSR, you will also create your private key, an essential element to establish a secure connection between your server and users’ browsers. Save and backup your private key. You will need it during the certificate installation.
Here’s how to generate a CSR code on BigCommerce:
- Log into your BigCommerce account
- Navigate to Server Settings > SSL Certificate
- Next, under Generate a CSR (for 3rd party certs) click Generate a CSR
- Fill in the required details as shown below:
- Approver Email: provide a valid email address
- Common Name (CN): specify the FQDN (fully-qualified domain name) you want to secure. For instance, yourstore.com
- Organization Name (O): type the full name of your organization. For example, GPI Holding LLC
- Organizational Unit (U): write the name of the department in charge of web security. For instance, IT
- Locale (L): enter the full name of the city where your organization is registered. For example, San Jose
- State/Province (S): enter the full name of the state or province where your organization is located. For instance, California
- Country Code (C): from the drop-down list, select the two-letter code of your country. For example, US
- Double check the info you’ve just entered, and then click Generate CSR
- Next, copy the content of your CSR code, including the —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– and —–END CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– tags, and paste it into any text editor. For example, Notepad
- Save your text file as yourdomainename. csr.
That’s it. You can now use your newly created CSR code during the order process with your SSL vendor.
Install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce
Once the CA sends you all the necessary SSL Certificate files, you continue with the installation steps.
Here’s what you will need:
- Your server certificate: this is your primary SSL Certificate signed for your domain name. It resides in the ZIP folder sent to you by your CA. You need to download it and extract the files on your device
- Your intermediate certificates: look for the .ca-bundle file within the ZIP archive. It contains your intermediates
- Your private key: you’ve generated the private key along with the CSR. You should have it on your server or desktop. You should also have a copy in your email inbox.
Here’s how to install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce:
- Log into your BigCommerce control panel
- Go to Server Settings > SSL certificates, and under Install a 3rd party SSL certificate click Install a 3rd party SSL
- Now, all you have to do is copy and paste your primary and intermediate certificates in their respective fields, then Install them
- The installation may take up to 15-20 minutes.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully installed an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce.
Test your SSL installation
After you install an SSL Certificate on BigCommerce, it’s always wise to scan your new installation for potential errors or vulnerabilities. With these powerful SSL tools, you can get instant reports on all facets of your SSL Certificate and its configuration.
BigCommerce is a technology company specializing in e-commerce software development. Founded in 2009 by Australians Eddie Machaalani and Mitchell Harper, BigCommerce platform has processed more than $16 billion in total sales.
- In January 2012, BigCommerce launched a $2 million integration fund for developers, used to fund 31 apps in BigCommerce Marketplace
- In April 2015, BigCommerce acquired Zing, a Texas-based company that sold checkout software to retailers
In October 2017, BigCommerce stared offering in-app shopping via Instagram to U.S.-based merchants using their platform.
Where to buy the best SSL Certificate for BigCommerce?
The best place to buy an SSL Certificate for BigCommerce is from SSL Dragon. We offer affordable prices, regular discounts and exclusive deals on the full range of our SSL products. We’ve selected only the top SSL brands on the market to provide your website state of the art encryption. All our SSL certificates are compatible with BigCommerce. Here are the types of SSL certificates we sell:
- Domain Validation
- Business Validation
- Extended Validation
- Code Signing
- IP Address
To help you choose the perfect SSL certificate, we built a couple of handy SSL tools. Our SSL Wizard does the search for you and recommends the best SSL certificate for your online project. On the other hand, the Certificate Filter sorts and compares different SSL products by price, validation, and features.
If you find any inaccuracies, or you have details to add to these SSL installation instructions, please feel free to send us your feedback at [email protected]. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.